Transportation services can be difficult to find and secure. The following outline provides resources/ideas that have been useful to others.
- If the family provides transportation . . .
- Disability license plates/placards = free parking @ metered spaces.
- Income tax deductions may be possible for medical travel.
- Reimbursement is possible for transportation if enrolled as Medicaid Private Transportation Provider.
- Waiver funding is possible for vehicle modifications (not for purchase of vehicle).
- Could Microboard purchase a vehicle?
- If public transportation is available, consider including travel training as a transition IEP goal (or part of an Individual Service Plan for adult services from a provider agency).
- Is Paratransit an option? In those areas where Paratransit is available . . .
- Individuals must apply and undergo evaluation and eligibility determination.
- Must reside within ¼ mile of existing public transportation.
- Can be certified to obtain discount on fixed-route public transportation.
- If your area has no public transportation, then Paratransit is not an option.
- Other possible options . . .
- Medicaid enrollees can get medical transportation with prior authorization though First Transit (see below) but reliability can be a problem in some areas.
- Medicaid managed care enrollees can get medical transportation through their health plan.
- Some municipalities may offer internal Paratransit options.
- Some medical centers and social service agencies may offer Paratransit services to their clients.
- Some communities may have volunteer transportation supports.
- Some service provider agencies may require their DSPs to transport clients; others may offer limited transportation services.
- Some special recreation programs may offer transportation services to clients for an extra fee.
Transportation Resources in Illinois
- First Transit is under contract with the State of Illinois’ Department of Healthcare and Family Services to develop, install, operate, and maintain an off-site, turnkey Prior Approval Non-Emergency Medical Transportation System and Call Center servicing the entire State of Illinois’s eligible Medicaid participant community. Phone: 877-725-0569
- IDOT Statewide Public and Specialized Transportation Provider Inventory
http://www.utc.uic.edu/tranpro/clickmap.php Phone: 217-782-7820